Blogs > Horse Sense

Marissa Raymo will discuss everything about horses, including horse health care tips, training tips, equestrian friendly trails, horse buying info and much more.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

No Worries, Mate! Review of the Illustrious Aussie Saddle

Before I was introduced to the Aussie saddle, I was sure that Simon Baker was Australia’s greatest export. But the moment I first fell into that hammock-like seat, I knew it was love.

Since I first learned to ride English and later converted to Western for the trail, the Aussie saddle turned out to be the best of both worlds for me. Combining my favorite features of English and Western saddles, it makes for the ultimate trail/endurance ride.

I originally bought the Aussie for my hard-to-fit Lyric (stay tuned for my blog on the importance of a well-fitted saddle), as she refused the Western saddle and was too unpredictable to be alone in the woods with my dainty English saddle. Aside from the general comfort for myself and my horse, I have found the Aussie to give me the most security as well.

Aussies have the forward seat of an English saddle, but like a Western saddle, it is designed to spread the rider's weight more evenly over the horses back. Weight wise, they are generally heavier than an English saddle, but lighter than most Western saddles.

In addition to the deep seat, the Aussie saddles include padded poleys (kneepads) to keep your tush in the saddle no matter what obstacle comes your way.  And to date, (knock on wood) it is the only saddle that I have not been thrown from.  Not that she hasn’t tried. 

The stirrup leathers are attached to stirrup bars, and are designed to release in the event the rider is thrown and has a foot caught in the stirrup. You can see the stirrup bar in the above picture peeking out from beneath the leather flap. When riding, the flap is actually secured beneath the overgirth (part of the double girthing system).

Now you'll probably never find an Aussie saddle in the show jumping ring or a barrel racing event, but for the avid trail rider, it is the best of both worlds. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself!


Cowboy Logic of the Day
"There never was a horse that couldn't be rode; 
there never was a rider that couldn't be throwed."

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are many brands in the market with different sizes and quality.One of my friend bought new australian saddle and when he used this new saddle he was impressed with the quality and comfort.

July 19, 2010 at 1:15 AM 
Blogger Unknown said...

The quality of saddle should be good and there are many service provider in the market for sale of horses, saddle and it's products. I would like to share horse saddle classified which can help you to choose best quality horses and saddle.

August 26, 2010 at 2:09 AM 
Anonymous horse saddle classified said...

English saddles don't include the girths, stirrup leathers or stirrup irons. These are sold separately. Western saddles always include stirrups and cinches, but sometimes you may want to buy a better cinch.

November 1, 2010 at 3:31 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Online Marketing
Share