Blogs > Horse Sense

Marissa Raymo will discuss everything about horses, including horse health care tips, training tips, equestrian friendly trails, horse buying info and much more.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

DIY Vaccinations

I have been toying with the idea of administering my own vaccinations for quite awhile now, but haven’t quite mustered up the guts to do it. However, now having two horses and two dogs, it seems that my annual vet bills are getting more than a bit out of hand.

Last year’s vaccination rounds for George (the pony) alone cost over $400 through my vet, where I can purchase all of the recommended vaccines from an online equine supply store (with the exception of rabies, which should always be administered by a vet) for less than $80.

So this Monday, I will attempt to vaccinate my own horses for the first time (with the help and supervision of a seasoned professional, of course). And in the event that I don’t pass out or vaccinate myself by mistake, I might just take on the dogs next!

So stay tuned to find out if and how I do!

The inevitable disclaimer…
The vaccinations recommended for your horse will vary based on a few factors – age, location, amount of travel, contact with other horses, and intent to breed. The American Association of Equine Practitioners recommends West Nile Virus, Eastern and Western Encephalitis, Tetanus and Rabies as core vaccinations that every horse should receive annually, regardless of ages, location, etc. Other vaccinations should also be considered based on your horse’s individual risk.

There is a lot to consider before you decide to vaccinate your own animals, like which vaccines can be administered together, what side effects are normal, and what to do in case of an adverse reaction - so please, please, please consult with your veterinarian before attempting to vaccinate your own pets. 


Cowboy logic of the day
"Don't worry about biting off more than you can chew. Your mouth is probably a whole lot bigger than you think."

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Kyra L said...

We do all our horses vaccinations ourselves, including rabies. I save alot of money on vet bills this way and my horse is protected.
If you can do it, I say go for it. If you're not, however, comfortable with it, by all means, stay with having your vet do it.

September 4, 2010 at 3:57 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Online Marketing
Share